Mis-sold Investments

Mis-sold Shares / Investments

Here at DRSP we specialise in the recovery of losses people suffer, due to financial mis-selling, particularly mis-sold investments and pensions. Operating since 2012, we have assisted thousands of clients recover millions of pounds.


What is an Investment?

Investments can take many forms. Below are a number of examples.

  • Contracts For Difference (CFD’s)
  • Fine Wines or Spirits
  • Initial Public Offerings (IPO’s)
  • Options or Derivatives
  • Penny Shares
  • Pre-IPO Investments
  • Discretionary Fund Management
  • Foreign Exchange
  • Mini Bond Investments
  • Parcels of Land
  • Pension Transfers
  • SIPP’s


How is an investment mis-sold?

Eligible claims can arise for a number of reasons, such as the firm’s failure to properly assess the investment risk, failure to ensure the suitability of the investment, failure to disclose key information that would affect your decision to invest, or for any other breach of the rules which govern the conduct of investment business. In general, though, all relate to poor advice. Something which has unfortunately happened in increasing numbers over the last couple of decades.


Reasons for mis-sale

There are a number of possible criteria for mis-sale which resulted in a financial loss including the following reasons:

  • You were not fully informed about the risks involved.
  • You were advised to invest in something that was riskier than your attitude to risk.
  • You were not fully informed about how your money would be invested.
  • You were not made aware of the commissions being paid to the financial advisor.
  • You were not made aware of how much you stood to lose.
  • You were not adequately asked about other investments you may have held.
  • You were not adequately asked about what the funds of the investment were for, such as retirement, health care etc.
  • Your advice was simply mis leading or you were lied to.

These are but a few of the possible reasons for mis-sale. In addition to these there are numerous reasons which will be dependent on your specific circumstances at the time.


What if my advisor is still trading?

A comprehensive complaint would be submitted to the broker who advised you on the investment. Should you not be happy with the outcome of the decision, you then have the option of referring this to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) at either no cost to yourself directly or using DRSP and one of our expert claims handlers.


What if my advisor is no longer trading, can I still claim?

The simple answer is yes!

Should your stockbroker or advisor have gone out of business you can complain to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), either directly at no cost to yourself or using one of DRSP’s experienced claims handlers.

If your stockbroker or advisor went out of business on or after 1st April 2019, you are entitled to a maximum compensation of upto £85,000. For those whose stockbroker or advisor went out of business prior to 1st April 2019, the maximum claim is £50,000. This is dependant on the amount your actual investment has lost.


To start your claim either click the “Request a Call Back” button or contact us on 0800 849 5078.